September 29, 2012

"Santa Ynez"

I know, I know, I haven't posted for a while. The summer was super busy at CalArts. However I finally got some time off. My wife and I got out of California for a few days and when we returned home I got the chance to paint. This is 18" x 24".

Detail 1. The shadow side of the house is more purple than it appears here.

Detail 2. The bright horizontal line is more yellow on the left, and kind of yellow-green on the right.
 
Detail 3. Usually I'll paint a light side of an object and a shadow side of that same object. Reading about light and shadow they'll write about things like core shadow, bounce light, rim light, highlight, etc. But I'm not into painting realistically.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! These are brilliant Dan! I love these paintings and the detail images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Santa Ynez. It shows the changes of light through the day, as it passes through the planes...So beautiful- the lit background illuminated in contrast to the dark foreground...thank you , my spirit feels nourished

    ReplyDelete